Wednesday, August 7, 2013

FHE Lesson: How Does Worthiness Affect Priesthood Power?

Nathan gave this Family Home Evening lesson the other night.  We were a little off on our schedule so he combined this lesson with another topic we wanted to cover, "How does the Priesthood Bless Me?

Since it wasn't my lesson, I am just going to touch on a couple brief points.

To start out his lesson, he showed this video:


Since our boys really like football this video really caught their attention.  Nathan then talked to them about why it is important to live in a way that you can always be worthy to use the priesthood to bless others but also to live in a way that you feel confident using the priesthood.  If young men are gallivanting around, doing who knows what during the week, they will not feel confident in their ability to use the priesthood righteously when called upon to do so.  And rightfully so.  Men and young men can't feel confident in their ability to use priesthood power if they are choosing to not keep the commandments and do as they have been commanded.  

It reminded me of this scripture in D&C 121:45:
45 Let thy abowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let bvirtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy cconfidence wax strong in the dpresenceof God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the edews from heaven.
During the lesson, Nathan also quoted 1 Corinthians 13:11
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
We discussed what it meant to put away childish things and how this would apply to receiving the priesthood.  This of course doesn't mean that Jared and Isaac need to put away their toys and only "sit around" like adults do.  It's a difference in attitude.  A change in the way one behaves, speaks and thinks. It is an attitude of thinking outside of yourself, outside of your desires and wants and trying to help others.

Nathan closed his lesson by telling us how he feels that the priesthood blesses his life.  His words were sincere and touching.  I am truly grateful to be married to that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.